Thursday, June 4, 2009

Split Pants

Toto we're not in Windfall anymore. (that was a W&L reference for all of you non-generals). I am a Southern, white girl who sticks out like a sore thumb among these seasoned rodeo stars, cowboys, and ranch hands. And it's AWESOME. I came here thinking I'd be a Kids Counselor, which technically I am, but the kids don't get here until later on. SO...so far I've put up a fence, stained a deck, painted rooms, looked after horses, feed ducks and kittens, gardened, hammered things, carried screw drivers around in my back pocket (which looked totally badass), and drank cowboy coffee. It's only been 3 days. Suck it. By the end of this summer, I'm going to be a seasoned ranch hand. One with nature. A cowgirl. Horse whisperer. Weilding princess. Mrs.- I-know-how-to-rope-a-horse-so-don't-mess-with-me-crazy...person. Good one, I know.
This place is beautiful. The tetons are much different from east coast mountains because they're much more jagged and snowcapped. Which is breathtaking. And I saw a moose. And an Elk. And a buffalo. Or Bison. I'm telling you--nature girl. The reason why this is titled moosen is because of Brian Reagan's joke. If you don't know what I'm talking about--look it up.
They have bonfires here. Like real bonfires. Like as in Cowboy bonfires. Ok that didn't really distinguish anything. Point is, I feel like I'm living in a real life western. Let me give you a run down of the people:
Jesse and Karen (the owners, bosses, ranch people extroardinaries).
Keith (creepy old man who pretends to be "head ranch." although he is)
Marlin and Pete (our chiefs. their goal is to make us gain 40 lbs..they are succeeding. Marlin also likes to make up nicknames (mine is finny))
Lynnae and Dan (Head of the flyfishing guide department. I don't really know what they do)
Luke, Denis, Andrew, "Duck," CJ, "Tadpole," Myles, Laura, Sara, Matt, Zach (Cowboys and flyfishing guides. Mmmmm)
Amy (kids counselor with me. we are Karen's bitches. )
Audrey, Jessica, Macey, Sarah, Tiffany (kitchen staff and house keeping).

OK now to my story as to why this post is called Split Pants. Today, I went trail riding on a horse with a group of people (this group of people included real life cowboys. attractive ones). Anywho, as we saddle up our horses, I'm trying to hide my southern inexperience and act like I know what I'm doing. BAHAHAHAHAHA. Ok sorry. Everything is going well, until I go to climb on the horse (See? Climb? I don't even know the proper terminology.) I think to myself, "Oh don't worry Findley. You're a graceful dancer who is flexible and has impeccable balance. Throw that leg over the sadde." FALSE. I put my foot in the stirrups, swing my leg over, and....RIIIIIIIIIIIIIP. Damn it. Cute cowboys in line of vision and favorite jeans gone. Epic fail. I still enjoyed the ride though. More to come later--this cowboy coffee is wearing off. And I want to go hold the kittens. Big Wyoming love.

F

1 comment:

  1. Dearest "Finney,"
    This is certainly a far stretch from last summer and just to let you know, you've lasted three more days than I ever would!!
    We absolutely loved hearing about your first three days and look forward to hearing about the rest of the summer - just a little hint - if you hear a "rattling" noise, please know that it's NOT a girl wearing bangle bracelets and don't stick your hands where you can't see what you're picking up!!!!
    The good comment was that you mentioned that there was some "cute cowboys," so hey, the summer can't be all bad, ugh?
    We know that the kids will love you and so will everyone else - don't worry about the ripped jeans - bet the cowboys hope that that happens again!!
    Please keep the "old campfire stories" coming our way and know that we're sending lots of love your way.

    ReplyDelete